Friday, February 13, 2009

SRK: I am becoming narcissistic!

No other actor is Bollywood has the amount of dedication and energy that Shah Rukh Khan possesses. The actor, who is due for surgery soon, attended four functions back-to-back in order to promote the film Billu. In fact, he was so busy that he had no time to attend his good friend Farah Khan's birthday party for her triplets.

Getting down to business, King Khan narrated the synopsis of his latest film first at a press conference. He said, “There is a saying that goes ‘east is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet’. What we wanted to ask is ‘can the twain meet?’ Whether this is possible or not, that’s what the film is centered around. Billu and Bindya are played by Irrfan and Lara respectively. An alien played by me then enters their lives.”



You started a portal called srkworld .com. Do you think that it is the right time to revive it?
I would actually like to because I want to start a site related to me. That and I am becoming more narcissistic by the day. Everywhere, there should be me and no one else! After my surgery is done with, I will get started on this.

You do a lot of promotions for you films through brands. How does this association help your film?
It’s all about give and take. If the film fits into the category of an existing product or one which is going to be launched then media buyers and media sellers will associate that product with the film and both are promoted. For example, Om Shanti Om fits a musical product while Billu suits earthy products- hence plywood.

We heard that you edited two of your scenes so that the focus would be on Irrfan Khan?
We have reedited some scenes- eight to be specific. We felt that the length of the film was too much. If you’re saying the same thing in two scenes then it doesn’t make sense to keep both of them. Editing was not done to promote any actor. It happens with all films. It is called postproduction. The media, however, likes to put its own spin on things.

What’s your take on blogging?
It’s a very connective and vast medium where you can share your thoughts- many stars are into it and it is all very well written. But I think that for me, the media conveys 90% of my thoughts. So what would I write about if I started? I don’t want to talk about my films or where I am shooting. Rather, when I start my portal I will talk about nature and human beings. I would like to talk to the youth and tell them that anything is possible if you work hard.




The word ‘barber’ had to be removed from the title of your film. Do you think it is fair?
Life is not about being fair or unfair. I make films for people. The audience should like it. I have made films which have hurt a few elderly stars and I have personally said sorry to them because it was not intentional. With Billu, the barber’s union told me very emotionally that the Hindi translation of the word ‘barber’ may be misused. I felt the same way so we removed the word. Legally, there was no problem keeping it but we often tease people with the Hindi word- think about it. Anyway, I feel that if a film is good, you can call it Ullu or Billu, people will still come and watch it.

You said that you would like to do an ordinary role in a realistic film. Why didn't you play the lead in Billu?
My director said that no one could play the lead in Billu except for Irrfan. He didn’t want any other big stars, just Irrfan because we all know that he is a brilliant actor. I thought that I should go and fight for the role but then I just let it be because I get to play a superstar- which I am (laughs).

Aamir Khan recently said that you are good at PR but not at marketing. Do you want to prove him wrong?
I don’t take compliments from people very seriously. I know what I have to do when it comes to my job and I don’t need to hear about it from other people. I want people to go watch my film so I promote it. Since I am producing it, it is my responsibility. I don’t think I need to explain myself. People like me, that is why I endorse so many products. Do you think that I have worked hard for 20 years just to make a film to prove to someone that I am also good at marketing? Aamir is a smart guy. I would like to know more about marketing from him.

You have removed ‘barber’ from your film because of protests. In your next film, My Name Is Khan, will you remove the word ‘Khan’ if the public had a problem with it?
I am just hoping that I don't have to remove the word ‘Billu’ from the film too! A man can suddenly come and say ‘My name is Billu’ and I will have to remove it. I really don't want my film to release without name! Then it will be just me, Irrfan and Lara posing for a film without a name.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Design By-Shotina.com